A 16-year-old junior high school student was killed by a 7-meter-long python, which strangled him to death, while hiking in Bombana regency, Southeast Sulawesi, on Sunday.The student, identified as Alfian, was attacked by the snake on the way to a waterfall in Kahar mountain, Rumbia district, with four friends.The python attacked Alfian when he was separated about 10 meters from his friends, said Rumbia Police chief First. Insp. Muh. Nur Sultan. Read also: Teacher captures python with bare hands in West Sulawesi”After they were separated, Alfian’s friends heard him screaming. When they found him, the python had bit one of his thighs and was wrapped around his neck,” Muh Nur told kompas.com on Monday.Muh Nur said two of Alfian’s friends tried to help him by hitting the snake. However, they were instead attacked and bitten by the python.They then decided to seek help from locals, who killed the python with machetes. But by the time they managed to free Alfian from the snake, the student had died.Muh Nur said two of Alfians’ friends who had been bitten had been taken to a local health community center (Puskesmas) and allowed to go home afterwards. (nal)Topics :
Image courtesy of MercadonaSpanish supermarket chain Mercadona and its transport suppliers have allocated 4 million euros ($5m) in 2018 towards adding 40 liquefied natural gas (LNG)-powered trucks.The trucks will be deployed in Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia.They will join the 7 gas-powered vehicles that have already been operating since 2017 as part of the company’s plans to reduce carbon emissions, Mercadona said in a statement on Thursday.The new LNG-powered trucks will gradually be incorporated into the company’s fleet throughout the year, it said.
Share 70 Views no discussions Share Sharing is caring! Air Canada said it has suspended its flights to and from Venezuela due to civil unrest, in a statement posted on its website Monday, March 17, 2014. The airline’s last flight left Caracas on Sunday, March 16, 2014. (Photo:AP)CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — Air Canada says it has suspended its flights to and from Venezuela due to civil unrest in the South American country.In a statement posted on its website Monday, the airline says it can no longer ensure the safety of its operation in Venezuela, which has been roiled by daily street protests over crime and a deteriorating economy for more than a month.The airline’s last flight left Caracas on Sunday. It is offering refunds to those who have purchased tickets for flights after that.Foreign airlines have struggled under a $3.3 billion debt owed by the Venezuelan government.President Nicolas Maduro said Friday any airline that reduced or suspended flights in and out of Venezuela would face severe measures. He warned that any airline that leaves won’t be allowed back while he is in power.Associated Press Tweet BusinessInternationalLifestylePrintTravel Air Canada suspends flights to Venezuela by: – March 18, 2014 Share
Update (1-28 @ 9:44 a.m.)Batesville Firefighters extinguished a semi fire that occurred at the eastbound Batesville Rest Area on I-74 Tuesday morning.The fire department responded after receiving a 911 call from the truck driver, 48-year-old Terry Hightower, of Lexington, KY.Hightower phoned emergency personnel after he parked his 2009 Freightliner semi at the rest area around 6:40 a.m.According to Indiana State Police Sgt. Noel Houze, “[Hightower] heard a couple of popping noises and thought something had struck the windshield.”“Upon further investigation he discovered a fire that appeared to start at one of the tractor tandems possibly from a hot brake,” Sgt. Houze added.No injuries resulted from the incident and the cause of the fire is still under investigation.Houze also noted that there is a solid sheet of ice on the entrance ramp to the rest area and the Indiana Department of Transportation has been called to treat the area.Original Post (1/28 @ 8:17 a.m.)Emergency personnel are on the scene of a semi truck fire on I-74 Tuesday morning, police confirm.According to reports, the blaze is in the westbound lane near the Batesville Rest Area, around mile marker 151.A Batesville Police spokesman indicated that it may be an isolated incident, involving just the semi.WRBI will release more information when available.
Franklin County, In. — A Thursday morning crash injured a Brookville woman on State Road 252 west of Little Cedar Road.A report from the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department says a car driven by Harlee Combs, 18, failed to negotiate a curve and drove off the road. The car went over an embankment and struck a tree.Combs was flown to University of Cincinnati Hospital with serious injuries.
RelatedPosts Super Eagles’ Aina joins Fulham on season-long loan Fulham hold Ola Aina talks Ibrahimovic to stay at Milan for another season – Reports The AC Milan soccer team will wear black armbands and observe a minute’s silence during an Italian Cup game on Tuesday in memory of devout fan Kobe Bryant. The seven-time European champions host Torino in the quarterfinals at the San Siro. Bryant, an 18-time NBA All-Star with the Los Angeles Lakers and a lifelong soccer fan, died Sunday with his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, in a helicopter crash near Calabasas, California. He was 41. Bryant grew up in Italy between the ages of six and 13 while his father, Joe Bryant, played basketball in the country. Milan tweeted an interview with Bryant when he visited the club’s training facility a few years ago. “Watching (Ruud) Gullit, (Frank) Rijkaard, (Marco) Van Basten and (Paolo) Maldini was always a dream for me,” Bryant said in Italian, wearing a Milan jersey. “It’s always been my favorite squad. Back in Los Angeles I have an AC Milan shirt and scarf inside my locker and I see them every day.” Milan obtained special clearance for the tribute from the Italian league. Torino tweeted that it will “emotionally” stand by Milan’s side during the tribute “in memory of this sports legend.”Tags: AC MilanCoppa ItaliaKobe BryantSan SiroTorino
As detectives reviewed the surveillance video, they also found footage that shows children popping a balloon just before 3 p.m. inside the Hollister store near the food court. That situation took place about two minutes after the balloon popped under the janitor’s wheel.Boca Police issued a statement that reads, “We encourage you to always be prepared for a potential active shooter event. Be our eyes and ears to report suspicious activity. Have a plan to run, hide or fight, if needed. Many sounds can be mistaken for gunfire or explosions, including popping balloons, slamming push bars on doors, items being dropped and more. If you do not perceive an immediate threat, make sure that you evacuate in a calm and controlled manner to avoid trampling other people and/or falling to the ground.” Boca Raton Police released new video on Thursday afternoon in the case of last Sunday’s active shooter scare at the Town Center Mall.The video first shows a janitor pushing a cart with a balloon stuck under the wheel. He told investigators that the balloon popped under the wheel a short time after he moved out of view.Some of our citizens & media asked about video from the event at the Town Center mall on Sunday. We are providing 2 video segments involving balloons popping, close to the time when people thought they heard shots fired. @bocapolice To read more click: https://t.co/xg4Lt6PhS4 pic.twitter.com/5rEAKSgGch— Boca Raton Police (@BocaPolice) October 17, 2019
Batsman Sam Robson has signed a new two-year contract with Middlesex.Robson, 22, was born in Australia but hopes to play for England and is regarded by Middlesex managing director of cricket Angus Fraser as an excellent prospect.Fraser, said: “It has been hugely satisfying to watch Sam come through this season, and for his career to take a giant step in the right direction.AdChoices广告“He is a top lad and everyone at the club is delighted he is happy to spend the next two years, at least, of his career at Middlesex.“He has provided our top order with stability and scored vital runs in difficult run chases against Kent and Surrey.”
Aisha Falode The Nigeria Women Football League (NWFL) board has confirmed that the Nigeria Women Premier League (NWPL) will kick off its 2019 season on July 17, 2019.The NWFL announced the kickoff date after the ratification of the congress, which had Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) second vice-president Shehu Dikko and board member Ibrahim Gusau in attendance in Abuja on Thursday.In her opening remarks, chairperson Aisha Falode congratulated the league champions Bayelsa Queens, while recounting the achievements under her leadership on and off-field in the last 12 months. “The Nigeria Women’s Premier League players helped the Super Falcons grabbed the 2018 Wafu Cup title in Cote’d Ivoire,” she told the congress.“We had seven of the league players were regulars in the Falcons team that won the 2018 Africa Women’s Cup of Nations title in Accra, Ghana.“Also, we had four of these players were signed on by top clubs in Europe at the end of the season.” According to Falode, the champions of the 2019 season will travel to Spain as part of its recent partnership with La Liga for an international tournament, which will be held on a yearly basis.Among decisions reached, the Congress ratified that the new season shall be played on an abridged league format basis of four clubs each in four groups, to make up for the lost time and to also properly fund the indemnities of the season.It resolved that the winners of each of the four groups will play a Super Four tournament to determine the overall winner of the season.The Congress further confirmed that the last team in each of the four groups will go for a playoff to determine the two teams which will be relegated to the second division at the end of the season.In Group A, Rivers Angels were drawn with Osun Babes, Delta Queens and FC Robo, while Group B was made up of Dream Stars Ladies, Heartland Queens, Adamawa Queens and Edo Queens.Bayelsa Queens, Sunshine Queens, Nasarawa Amazons and Jokodolu Babes were pooled in Group C, while Confluence Queens, Abia Angels, Invincible Angels and Ibom Angels were pitched in Group D.For fixtures, defending champions Bayelsa Queens will open their defence against Jokodolu in Yenegoa, while runners-up Nasarawa Amazons will be guest to Sunshine Queens on July 17.Also the same day, Confluence Queens welcome Ibom Angels, Invincible Angels visit Abia Angels in Umuahia, Dream Star Ladies play hosts to Edo Queens in Lagos.In other opening games, Adamawa Queens travel to Owerri to face Heartland Queens, Rivers Angels take on Robo Queens in Port Harcourt and Delta Queens go away to Osun Babes.Bayelsa Queens are the defending champions of the NWPL following a 2-0 Super Four final victory over Nazarawa Amazons in Lagos in January 2019.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Dino Babers stepped back from the podium where his hands rested, his left now in his pocket and his right motioning to the mass before him.“Close your eyes for me,” he said. “Stay with me.”A sharp cutoff met almost each phrase that followed. A tone gaining edge pierced the silent room, with clicks of cameras replacing the pounding of keyboards and sporadic laughter as the only audible noise. Brief downward thrusts of Babers’ right hand gave emphasis to every part of the picture he painted.A packed Carrier Dome. Deafening noise. A no-huddle offense. Electric feeling.“Open your eyes,” Babers said. “That’s going to be a reality.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“That’s going to be Syracuse football.”In front of a packed auditorium on Monday morning, Babers spoke publicly for the first time as Syracuse’s head coach. He’s the fifth in the past 24 years, a 54-year-old tasked with providing stability to a team that’s lacked it. He brings an enticing offensive pedigree to a group that’s averaged only 22.25 points per game since 2013, almost 15 less than what Babers’ teams averaged during that span.And exactly two weeks after the firing of a head coach who opened up his tenure with similar gusto, Babers momentarily injected optimism into Syracuse football.“Why Syracuse?” Babers asked rhetorically. “Why not Syracuse? … You tell me why not.”Flanked by former SU running back Floyd Little and Director of Athletics Mark Coyle, Babers looked up at a crowd dotted by family members, current and former players, football staff members, other SU head coaches and even a Carrier Dome concessions worker.The group broke into laughter when Babers admitted his nerves after accidentally saying “this is not a destination job for me.” They erupted when Babers confessed his love for movies, claiming he’s likely to be in a theatre when the lights go down. They chuckled when he pledged his loyalty to water because he can’t afford the calories of Hawaiian Punch — he was born in Hawaii — or orange juice, a symbol used by Scott Shafer at his introductory press conference.The event had the feel of a happy-go-lucky meet-and-greet, far from the aura given off by rows of cameras and chunks of significant SU figures.The tension surrounding SU football was nonexistent when Babers began speaking. Syracuse had found its coach, no longer competing on a market that was dwindling by the day. He was now charming a congregation, some of which will play for him, that is looking for a revival.“This is going to take an entire Syracuse nation to get this done,” Babers said. “I can’t see any reason why we can’t be at the top of the (Atlantic Coast Conference).”Babers coached wide receivers under Art Briles at Baylor from 2008-11. For 12 years prior to Babers’ arrival in Waco, Texas and two years into his tenure with the Bears, the team had a losing record. Briles repeatedly told Babers that fans will come, but only if the team wins.In Babers’ last two years, Baylor slowly ascended, finishing with a 10-3 record in 2011. Even at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green, he never began a season with expectations of a division title, he said, but each of the last four seasons resulted in one. Now he’s tasked with pulling Syracuse from similar depths.“I really believe special things are going to happen here,” Babers said. “I really believe that we’re going to start something that people are going to be talking about for a long, long time.”Before Babers was hired, Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost was rumored to be the top contender before he took the Central Florida job. Then Chris Ash, the defensive coordinator from defending national champion Ohio State, appeared the favorite, but he reportedly withdrew his name.The sexy names were gone, but Syracuse snatched a coach who’s guided offenses to astronomical numbers with a foundation based in faith.He spoke with conviction about giving fans what they deserve. He promised a brand of football faster than anybody has seen on turf — not mincing words to bring life to a team that lost eight straight games before its season-ending win.“I wanted someone who was innovative and had an exciting brand of football,” Coyle said.Excitement is what Syracuse lacked after missing the postseason and losing its coach.And even if it dissipates as football season creeps farther away, Babers brought it back for now. Comments Published on December 7, 2015 at 10:13 pm Contact Matt: firstname.lastname@example.org | @matt_schneidman Facebook Twitter Google+