Librarians and faculty from across Harvard, the United States, and even across the pond gathered to share problems and brainstorm solutions around the long-term life of print materials in a digital age at the Harvard Library’s Symposium on Sustainable Models for Print Storage in 21st-Century Libraries.Large themes and issues such as funding and institutional culture were tackled by the speakers and panelists. Sarah Thomas, vice president for the Harvard Library and Roy E. Larsen Librarian for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, likened the topic of print storage to a twisted ball of yarn — something actually comprising a knot of complex issues like collection policies, systemization, cultural shifts, user behavior change and collaboration. “Print storage gives us a lens through which we can consider and observe a variety of issues about access to and management of collections,” she said.About half of Harvard’s collection of nearly 20 million volumes is housed in the Harvard Depository, which is nearing capacity. Supported by the generosity of the Bradley M. and Terrie F. Bloom Family Fund and the Arcadia Fund, the symposium was envisioned by Thomas as a way to explore innovative alternatives via technology and collaboration with peers before commissioning a new module for the high-density facility.
After leading the organization for seven years, director of University of Georgia Extension Beverly Sparks will retire June 30. Sparks leaves after 32 years working in Extension, first as an entomologist in Texas and Georgia, conducting research, publishing papers and educating Extension agents before taking leadership roles with UGA Extension. She is happy to be retiring at a time when Georgia Extension is in, what she calls, “a fast trajectory.” “I’m proud to know we are just as important now as we were in the past. There are always going to be new problems and our relevance is still there. We have new agents that learn in different ways and they will teach in different ways,” Sparks said. As the first female to lead UGA Extension, Sparks is often viewed as a trailblazer. She doesn’t agree with that label. “I was the first female ag specialist at Texas A&M, but Georgia already had some female specialists on staff and other states have had female Extension leaders,” she said. “I had already been working with some amazing female Extension leaders like Ilene Dailey and Susan Harrell.”Plus, Sparks said she wasn’t raised to see gender differences. “I grew up in a household where my brother made the best cheesecake in the world and he did his own laundry. We never had gender specific limitations,” she said. Sparks earned an agriculture degree at Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College before heading to Athens where she earned a bachelor’s degree in horticulture and a master’s degree in entomology. She earned a Ph.D. in entomology at Louisiana State University and began her career at Texas A&M as an Extension entomologist. She returned to Georgia in 1989 as the UGA Extension entomologist. Her work focused on fire ants and other ornamental and turf pests. She worked closely with the structural pest control industry and trained UGA county agents, her favorite aspect of the job. In 2000, Sparks became director of the Northeast District of Extension. In 2005, Sparks took another step up the administrative ladder and became interim director of Extension before officially assuming the post in 2007. “Dr. Beverly Sparks has led Cooperative Extension through periods of growth and decline. Through both, she has shown determination and skill to make Extension the best it can be as it serves the citizens of Georgia,” said Scott Angle, dean and director of the UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. “Most importantly, her grace and tact have held the organization together during some very difficult times; as the economy improves Extension is once again poised to assume its position as one of the very best. The university, college and agriculture all owe Dr. Sparks our thanks.” CAES Assistant Dean for Extension Steve Brown will serve as acting associate dean for Georgia Extension until Sparks’ replacement is selected through a national search.
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Platts:No end to the bearish sentiment in the U.S. utility coal market is expected through 2020, according to analysts at Seaport Global, as a result of low domestic natural gas prices and a weak export market.The utility coal “market started the year in good shape, but has gotten materially worse ever since,” driven by a low front-month gas futures price, Mark Levin, senior analyst, and Nathan Martin, senior associate analyst, wrote in the Seaport note Tuesday.The CIF ARA coal market has been “obliterated,” with the front-month price falling $26.70 to $59/mt between the start of the year and Monday, as a result of mild weather, cheap gas prices, high carbon allowance prices and plentiful Russian supplies. “The net result was significantly weaker coal prices in key US export basins like Northern Appalachian and the Illinois Basin,” the analyst said, noting price falls of 27% and 19% over the period, respectively.And the analysts said most investors expect the US utility coal market will be worse in 2020 than it is in 2019. “Investor negativity toward the steam market rests on two somewhat obvious factors: (1) low natural gas prices eating into coal demand; and (2) weak API2 prices causing US steam coal exports to get cut anywhere from a third to a half,” they wrote.The latter factor is putting additional pressure on US utility coal prices as tonnes previously intended for the seaborne market will be forced to remain at home, creating an even larger imbalance given what is already a tepid demand environment. “If these tons can’t find a home, bears argue that coal producers must cut their sales figures, creating a triple whammy effect – lower coal prices, lower coal volumes, and higher costs due to less operating leverage,” the analysts added.While API2 prices for the full-year 2020 period had their best week since the start of the year last week, driven by a 5% on a rise in US gas prices, “US producers are still far out of the money,” the report noted, adding that concerns over IMO 2020 sulfur regulations causing a fuel oil surplus and pressure on NAPP exports to India are growing. “In short, negativity toward thermal coal is everywhere,” they wrote.More: Bearish U.S. utility coal market sentiment unlikely to lift before end of 2020: Seaport U.S. coal analysts say sector’s current woes to continue through 2020
16SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr by: Michael BartlettEven as credit unions are figuring out the emerging space that is mobile payments, there already are glimpses of the next frontier — adding loyalty programs to mobile.For years the concept of loyalty was simple: consumers used their credit and debit cards to make purchases and earned rewards by doing so. With the advent of mobile payments, however, suddenly the picture becomes much murkier.Anna Cox, director of credit union growth solutions for PSCU in St. Petersburg, Fla., said there is a “great deal of discussion” regarding adding a loyalty program element to mobile payments as people try to figure out exactly how everything will work together.“The real hurdle is making it worth the merchants’ while,” Cox said. “If something is going to impact their bottom lines they think about it, but I think they realize the technology is moving that way and they will want to capture consumers.” continue reading »
5SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr Consumers are gravitating to the ease and convenience offered by mobile banking, yet many financial institutions remain unsure of the channel’s impact on bottom-line revenue. In particular, according to a new Fiserv study, there is a strong correlation between mobile banking usage, debit and credit card point-of-sale transactions and ATM usage.Fiserv compared the number and frequency of transactions in the three months before and after consumers enrolled in mobile banking. Although existing mobile banking users account for 14.4 percent of the customer base in the banks studied, they drove more than 39 percent of the total point-of-sale (POS) spend. When consumers can check their balances on their smartphones when they’re out and about, it may lead to increased spending of available funds. And of course, increased card usage means more incremental interchange revenue for financial institutions. continue reading »
Business conferences Digital Takeover 2020, Communication Days, International Tourism Fair PLACE2GO have also been postponed due to coronavirus. “All foreign nationals entering Croatia from hotspots such as China, Italy and Korea will have to be quarantined for 14 days.”, Minister Davor Božinović pointed out at the press conference of the National Staff and added that Croatian citizens coming from the hotspot will be credited with a 14-day self-isolation measure. The session of the headquarters also recommended that everyone consider postponing travel abroad, especially to countries and regions affected by the corona virus. After the press conference of the National Civil Protection Headquarters, the HrTurizam portal made a decision to postpone the Day One conference. According to the situation, the conference is planned to be postponed until the beginning of November, but you will be informed about everything in a timely manner. The conference was to be held on April 02 at the Forum Congress Center. Other groups of measures, which are presented, include the recommendation to postpone all gatherings with more than 1000 people. “Those who will still hold on are obliged to set high hygiene standards. It is necessary to provide points with disinfectants, and instructions for avoiding non-verbal contacts will also have to be followed, ie it is recommended to avoid close social contacts ”., the Minister concluded. It was also emphasized that all organizers of public gatherings are obliged to obtain the consent of the County Civil Protection Headquarters and the County Institute of Public Health. We also repeat the important guidelines presented after the session of the Headquarters. Minister of Health Vili Beroš reiterated that the epidemiological situation in Croatia is calm, and we have only 12 infected. “Therefore, we decided on this additional package of measures to preserve public health in Croatia. We currently have 344 people tested, eight tests are under construction. ” Minister Berosh emphasized. “We made the decision to postpone the announcement of the headquarters and we waited until the last moment. This decision is not easy for me. Our conference is important for the tourism sector, which is in dire need of help at the moment. The damage that tourism will suffer, both globally and in Croatia, cannot be predicted at all and is measured in billions. In these moments, the most important thing is actually to communicate and be ready for all the options. Although in our case it is a conference with only 350 participants, we believe that it is important to act responsibly and we have decided to postpone the conference. ” pointed out the director of the Day One conference Goran Rihelj, owner and founder of the HrTurizam portal.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
The home at 6 Suvla St, Balmoral.A PRE-WAR home with an award-winning renovation has sold under the hammer in a tightly held Brisbane suburb on Saturday.The Folkhouse at 6 Suvla St, Balmoral sold at auction to local buyers for $1.9 million. The pre-war character home was renovated and extended in a collaboration between Shaun Lockyer Architects and JBS builders. Inside the home at 107 Merthyr Rd, New Farm.Mr Woolard said the new owners were two brothers. “They’re looking to restore the home and bring it back to its former beauty,” he said. “The vendor was very happy with the sale. She lives interstate and has been watching the market to find the right time to sell. “It was a hard decision for her to let it go because she loves the house but she was happy with the result.” The home at 6 Suvla St, Balmoral before renovation.“The architect is well known but I think the builders were the standout performers.”The auction attracted five registered bidders and a crowd of about 40 onlookers. “The opening bid was $1.5 million and we had two bidders fighting it out,” Mr O’Doherty said. More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus22 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market22 hours agoThe home at 6 Suvla St, Balmoral after renovation.“The property was called on the market at $1.9 million and sold.” Mr O’Doherty said the Balmoral market was performing exceptionally well. “There is a lack of stock but a phenomenal amount of buyers,” he said. “We could have sold this home three or four times over. Balmoral is just such a tightly held area that demand far outweighs supply.” In New Farm, a reno-ready Queenslander also sold under the hammer on Saturday. The home at 107 Merthyr Rd, New Farm.The character cottage at 107 Merthyr Rd sold for $1.05 million. Set on a 506sq m block, the home has high ceilings, timber floors, timber fretwork and VJ walls. Marketing agent Aaron Woolard of Place New Farm said four buyers registered for the auction, with two actively bidding.“The opening bid was $800,000 and it was all over pretty quickly,” he said. “There was a little pause to seek instructions and we chatted with the highest bidder and the vendor before eventually reaching an agreement.“The property was called on the market at $1.05 million and sold.” The home at 6 Suvla St, Balmoral.Marketing agent Tony O’Doherty of Belle Property Bulimba said the Shaun Lockyer name combined with the sought after location brought in a huge amount of interest. “We had 120 groups through the home (during the marketing campaign), which was about 300 plus people,” he said. “It was the level of finishes, the design and the lifestyle that attracted people.
The bathrooms were gutted and refitted.Other heroes include a kids retreat and a mammoth walk-in wardrobe off the master – so big it could be a study or even a fifth bedroom.The home is not short of living areas, with an open-plan living, kitchen and dining room just off the entry to the home, a courtyard, and a separate deck and outdoor entertaining area that looks over the swimming pool. The kitchen is both stylish and practical.He grew up on a farm and he said the peace of the Burpengary East property is something that will be hard to leave.“Every time I walk outside, I think, ‘Oh, do I really want to go?’” he said.More from newsLand grab sees 12 Sandstone Lakes homesites sell in a week21 Jun 2020Tropical haven walking distance from the surf9 Oct 2019“I’m turning 68 now so it’s time for us to downsize and do a bit more travelling.”The couple recently renovated the expansive one-level home, with chic new kitchen and bathrooms and a combined butlers pantry and laundry. Large undercover outdoor entertaining overlooking a pool.The home lies on 2 acres, which consists of three paddocks and although it would be great for most families, Mr Nicol said it is ideal for people who want to have animals but still be close to suburbia.“At one stage we had a pony, three dogs, chickens and guinea pigs.” One of the living areas at 65-69 Bradford Rd, Burpengary East.“As soon as we told people we were moving to Queensland, we had people staying with us all the time,” Mr Nicol said.“It wasn’t, ‘Can we come up,’ it was, ‘We are coming up’.” The home at 65-69 Bradford St, Burpengary East.WHEN Michael Nicol first stepped foot on his Burpengary East property four and a half years ago, he knew it was the one.Mr Nicol and his partner Christine Amos moved to Brisbane from Melbourne with a list of 250 properties, of which they viewed 30 before eventually settling on 65-69 Bradford Rd.“When I stood on the driveway for the first time I just got that feeling and I knew it was right for me,” Mr Nicol said.
Italy’s pensions regulator COVIP has moved to simplify the approval process schemes need to go through in order to invest directly in investment funds, rather than using an intermediary. The regulator last month issued new guidance for fondi negoziali, Italy’s industry-wide schemes based on collective labour agreements. In a letter to the pension funds, sent on 24 January, COVIP said they no longer had to have approval from a full meeting of stakeholders in order to change their rules to allow such investments.The circular told the funds how they had to change a particular section of their scheme rules in order to make such direct investments. After updating scheme rules these statutory changes simply had to be communicated to COVIP and approved by the fund’s board of directors, without the need to submit them to an extraordinary shareholders’ meeting.The legislation 252/2005 – referred to in the letter’s heading – provides for complementary pension schemes to have the option of carrying out forms of direct investment by buying shares in real estate companies, as well as shares in closed investment funds or real estate mutual funds, COVIP explained.These investments are subject to certain limits.A spokesman for COVIP said that even though this type of direct investment had been provided for by the 252/2005 legislation, up to now they had rarely been used by the majority of fondi negoziali.“With this note, the authority intends to simplify the administrative procedures, if any pension fund wants to use this type of investment, and this option has not already been provided for in their articles of association,” he said.COVIP also reiterated the need for pension funds’ boards of directors – if considering using direct investments – to make sure that the fund’s internal organisational structure was “equipped with the professional requirements appropriate to the risks and the characteristics of the financial instruments in which it intends to invest”, the spokesman said.The regulator’s circular followed an announcement from one of Italy’s fondi negoziali that it had made direct investments in the course of 2017. Prevaer, the air transport pension fund, said it made three direct investments last year with no intermediary.These included a €5m investment in Fondo Italiano, which invests in small and medium-sized Italian businesses; €10m in BlackRock’s European fund, and another €10m in a Macquarie fund investing in infrastructure companies.Prevaer said the deals amounted to around 6% of its total assets.