Rio Tinto shareholders have rejected a resolution calling for improved governance over the company’s membership of lobbying organisations in relation to climate change.The company board and main proxy voting advisers had recommended a vote against the resolution.However, there was strong support for the resolution’s co-filers, which included the Church of England Pensions Board (CEPB), Sweden’s AP7, Australia’s Local Government Superannuation Fund, and the Australasian Centre for Corporate Responsibility (ACCR).The resolution was presented at the annual general meeting of Rio Tinto Limited (RTL), the group’s Australian arm, held in Melbourne. Rio Tinto is listed both on the London Stock Exchange and the Australian Securities Exchange, with headquarters in both London and Melbourne. The resolution called on the board to undertake a review regarding the current use of shareholder funds to support industry associations and lobby groups. The board were asked to publish how much they spend on these trade associations and ensure appropriate governance processes surrounding the issue.The resolution specifically sought to address RTL’s funding of trade associations – such as the Minerals Council of Australia – which lobby in public and in private, contrary to the company’s own stated support for the Paris Agreement and efforts to combat climate change.Over 18% of shareholders voted for the resolution, representing investors with £1.8trn (€2bn) under management. The investors also included CalPERS, CalSTRS, Legal & General Investment Management and Aegon Asset Management.Adam Matthews, head of engagement for the CEPB, said: “This is the largest shareholder revolt against management on the issue of climate change in Australian corporate history.”He added: “This was a very reasonable resolution that justified a better response from Rio Tinto’s board and I would encourage the chairman to now take the opportunity to commit to undertake the called-for review, as well as to publish Rio Tinto’s funding of trade associations.” Matthews also said that the CEPB would continue to engage with Rio Tinto’s board and work together with the funds that had supported the resolution.Last year, Church Commissioners for England – a sister organisation to CEPB that manages post-1998 retirement benefits – was part of a consortium that successfully persuaded oil giant ExxonMobil to implement climate change measures. This was despite losing a shareholder vote on a resolution in 2016.
RelatedPosts Tyson Fury to Anthony Joshua: Don’t risk fighting Usyk Anthony Joshua, Okolie plot world title double Anthony Joshua wants Tyson Fury, Wilder fight British champion boxer Anthony Joshua has made some bizarre comments following his stunning seventh knockout by Mexican Andy Ruiz Jr.First he shocked many by admitting that he was disillusioned about the sport that gifted him win a coveted gold medal at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, and that he could feel his passion ebbing.Now, after having had the chinks in his armour, which boasted an ironclad defence that saw him unbeaten in 22 fights, 21 of which came by way of knockout, he has acknowledged that Ruiz is the “best” heavyweight on the planet.This is coming less than three months ahead of his much-anticipated rematch in Saudi Arabia on December 7.Joshua has suggested that his defeat to Ruiz at Madison Square Garden was “a minor setback” and that he will be a different fighter when he gets into the ring at Riyadh, while the whole world will be holding their collective breaths to discover if lightning does strike twice.“I am looking at myself in the mirror and saying I know I’m better than that,” he told The Guardian. “Andy is still the same person. He will come game and I’ve got to change some of my bibs and bobs.”“I was 50% of the way towards getting a win, just got caught,” he added. “It was a punch from the gods. It wasn’t a lucky punch from him, it just caught me on the head and I couldn’t recover. It was pitch perfect.“Getting to the top is one thing, but staying at the top for an amount of years, that’s a whole other story. I’ve got to up my game to get my title back.”Tags: Andy Ruiz JrAnthony Joshua
Former surfing executive Jeffrey Bizzack was sentenced to two months in prison Wednesday after paying $250,000 in Fall 2017 to have his son admitted to USC by falsely designating him as a volleyball recruit. He will also have to pay a $250,000 fine, perform 300 hours of community service and face three years of supervised release. Singer, who pleaded guilty to four charges associated with the scandal in March, used the money to pay monthly installments to former USC senior associate athletic director Donna Heinel, according to the Los Angeles Times. Heinel was fired from her position in March following the discovery of her role in the scandal and currently faces five charges in connection with the scandal. Bizzack pleaded guilty July 24 to one count of conspiracy to commit wire mail fraud and honest services mail fraud after paying a total of $250,000 in exchange for the admission of his son, who allegedly had no knowledge of the scheme. Buckingham and Sloane, also charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud, received comparatively lighter penalties. Buckingham was sentenced to three weeks in prison, one year of supervised release and a $40,000 fine. Sloane was sentenced to four months in prison, two years of supervised release, 500 hours of community service and a $95,000 fine. Of the money Bizzack paid, $50,000 was paid directly to USC’s Galen Center, while the remaining $200,000 was paid under the guise of a donation to the Key Worldwide Foundation, a fraudulent nonprofit created by the admissions scheme leader William “Rick” Singer. Bizzack’s attorneys originally argued that because Bizzack contacted federal officials with information about his connection to the scandal upon learning about the scheme’s uncovering, he should be given a comparatively light sentence of probation and community service only. In June, Bizzack became the first defendant charged in the case since the case was made public in March. He was the 51st person charged and is the 13th to be sentenced in the Operation Varsity Blues scandal. His $250,000 fine is the largest to date in the admissions scandal. The sentencing comes after those of USC parents Jane Buckingham and Agustin Huneeus Jr. earlier this month and Devin Sloane in September. Huneeus was charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services wire mail fraud and was sentenced to five months in prison, two years of supervised release, 500 hours of community service and a fine of $100,000. Bizzack’s sentencing marks the fourth for a USC parent in the college admissions case. Of the 33 parents named in the case, 16 are USC parents. Singer also conspired with former USC assistant soccer coach Laura Janke, who faces one charge of conspiracy to commit racketeering, to create a fake athletic profile for Bizzack’s son that presented him as a star volleyball player. Heinel then presented the applicant, designated as a men’s volleyball recruit, to an admissions committee, which granted him conditional acceptance. Bizzack’s son was formally admitted to the University in March 2018.
Facebook Twitter Google+ MIAMI — Syracuse reserve point guard Frank Howard will not play vs. No. 13 Miami on Saturday, per a Syracuse basketball representative.The freshman is in attendance at the Bank United Center, but did not warm up with teammates. He sat on the bench in a white polo shirt.Howard has established himself as Syracuse’s backup point guard under interim head coach Mike Hopkins.He’s played 11.8 minutes per game in the past six games, and has scored 18 points and committed just three turnovers.It is unclear how long he will be sidelined.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Comments Published on January 2, 2016 at 1:50 pm Contact Sam: firstname.lastname@example.org | @SamBlum3
Comments Published on April 20, 2019 at 7:15 pm Contact Andrew: email@example.com | @A_E_Graham Facebook Twitter Google+ ANNAPOLIS, Md. — No. 7 Syracuse (9-3, 2-2 Atlantic Coast) cruised past Navy (5-7, 3-4 Patriot), 18-9, on Saturday at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.After a sluggish start, the Orange buried the Midshipmen in the second quarter, putting the game away before halftime and riding a dominant performance from their top attack to an easy victory.Here are three takeaways from the blowout win.Top-line shinesSyracuse’s trio of first-line attacks — Bradley Voigt, Stephen Rehfuss and Nate Solomon — combined for 17 points (nine goals, eight assists) against Navy.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textVoigt followed his season-long form, scoring five goals, including a second-quarter hat trick. Rehfuss played the part of feeder, tallying five assists to go with two goals. Solomon added two goals and three assists of his own.With less than a minute left until halftime, with the shot clock under 10, Rehfuss dodged fruitlessly, trying to get a look at Navy goalie Ryan Kern. When he couldn’t break free, Rehfuss muscled the ball out of his stick to Voigt, just a few yards away in front of the crease, blanketed.Somehow, the pass found Voigt’s stick, and the senior bounced it into the back of the net with one second left on the shot clock.SecondsLess than two minutes into the second quarter, Navy’s Ryan Wade sprinted from midfield into the offensive zone. He barreled past his defender, leaned left and flicked a shot past SU goalie Drake Porter to tie the game at four.Syracuse, in response, closed out the half on a 6-1 run, taking command of the game into halftime.During the run, the Orange won 5-of-8 faceoffs, scooping four ground balls and causing two turnovers. Nate Solomon took the ball out of Jacob Mandish’s long pole less than 10 seconds after a previous SU turnover. And in net, Drake Porter did his part, stopping five shots in the span.The Orange carried their run into the second half, pushing it to 9-1 before Navy finally scored in the second frame. But SU had won the game when it went into the half up, 10-5.ACC tournament troublesSyracuse’s fate for the upcoming Atlantic Coast Conference tournament was sealed before the Orange even took the field on Saturday.With Notre Dame topping North Carolina, 12-10, earlier in South Bend, Indiana, SU is destined for a rematch with the Tar Heels on Thursday, April 25, as part of the No. 4 vs. No. 5 play-in game. The winner faces No. 1-seeded Virginia in a semifinal on the 27th.Had the Tar Heels won, the Orange would’ve faced them in the No. 2 vs. No. 3 semifinal on April 27.Instead, Syracuse heads to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, for a chance to win its first ACC tournament game since 2016.
The Syracuse women’s lacrosse schedule for 2020 was released Wednesday afternoon, one day after the Orange were ranked No. 2 in the preseason Nike/US Lacrosse poll. SU will face all four semifinalists from the 2019 NCAA tournament, including No. 4 Northwestern, who defeated the Orange in last year’s quarterfinals. Eight of their 19 games are against teams in the preseason Top 20. The Orange open the season with four home games against Canisius, No. 12 Stony Brook, Albany and SUNY Binghamton. On Feb. 22, they’ll head to Evanston, Illinois for a rematch of last year’s quarterfinal. Then, SU returns home for another in-state contest against Colgate on Feb. 25 before hosting the defending national champion, No. 3 Maryland, on Feb. 28. Syracuse’s longest away stretch of the year begins March 8 against Virginia Tech in the Crown Lacrosse Classic in Charlotte, North Carolina. SU plays No. 7 Virginia on March 12 before taking on Louisville (March 21) in Bradenton, Florida. The Orange also face No. 11 Notre Dame (March 28), No. 15 Loyola (Apr. 1) and Duke (Apr. 4) during this month-long road trip. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSU takes on No. 1 North Carolina on Apr. 11 in its home finale the only Syracuse women’s home game that won’t be played in the Carrier Dome due to renovations. The location has yet to be announced.Syracuse finishes the season against Cornell (Apr. 14), No. 5 Boston College (Apr. 18) and UMass on May 2. Ahead of their season finale in Amherst, the Orange head to Chapel Hill for the ACC tournament from April 22-26. Syracuse went 16-5 last season and earned the No. 5 seed in the NCAA tournament after facing 10 teams in the 2019 preseason Nike/US Lacrosse poll. Comments Published on December 18, 2019 at 6:49 pm Contact Tim: firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook Twitter Google+
LIVE TV FOLLOW US Associated Press Television News Walker Buehler struck out 11 over six sharp innings in his best outing of the shortened season, leading the Los Angeles Dodgers past the slumping Colorado Rockies 5-1 on Friday night.The Dodgers (20-8) earned their ninth victory in 10 games and became the first team in the majors to win 20 this season. Every player in the Los Angeles lineup got a hit except Austin Barnes, although the catcher had an RBI with a sacrifice fly in the sixth.Buehler (1-0) gave up four hits on 92 pitches in his fifth start of the season and didn’t issue a walk in going past five innings for the first time. The right-hander was coming off his worst outing of the year. He gave up five runs (four earned) and six hits in 4 2/3 innings against the Angels last weekend.But on this night Buehler turned a corner, challenging hitters and putting the ball in good spots. He retired the first 11 batters he faced. Charlie Blackmon, the majors’ leading hitter at .420, ripped a two-out single to center field in the fourth for the Rockies’ first hit.Buehler gave up three consecutive singles to right by Drew Butera, Raimel Tapia and Trevor Story in the sixth. Story’s shallow hit scored Butera for the Rockies’ lone run. Buehler then got Blackmon on a swinging strikeout before Joc Pederson’s running catch into the lower wall in right ended the inning and prevented the potential tying runs from scoring.After an impressive start, the Rockies have lost a season-high five straight and 10 of 12 while dropping to .500. Jon Gray (1-3) gave up four runs and seven hits in 3 2/3 innings. The right-hander had two walks and no strikeouts.Cody Bellinger’s RBI double in the first gave the Dodgers a 1-0 lead.Los Angeles added three runs in the fourth on Matt Beaty’s RBI single and Corey Seager’s two-run double down the right-field line.TRAINER’S ROOMRockies: RHP Joe Harvey went on the 10-day injured list with a right elbow sprain.Dodgers: C Will Smith (neck inflammation) had four at-bats and did some catching at the team’s alternate training site. He’ll do more of the same on Saturday and if all goes well, return to the lineup Sunday.REMEMBERING KOBEThe Dodgers will honor Kobe and Gianna Bryant during pregame ceremonies Sunday, which would have been Bryant’s 42nd birthday. He and his daughter were killed in a helicopter crash in January. Fans aren’t allowed at Dodger Stadium, but they can watch on the team’s SportsNet LA channel.UP NEXTRockies: LHP Kyle Freeland (2-1, 2.56 ERA) has recorded a quality start in each of his first five starts, tied for the second-longest streak to begin a season in franchise history.Dodgers: RHP Dustin May (1-1, 3.00) has faced the Rockies once. He threw a scoreless inning of relief last September. First Published: 22nd August, 2020 10:25 IST Written By Last Updated: 22nd August, 2020 10:25 IST Buehler Strikes Out 11, Dodgers Beat Rox 5-1 For 20th Win Walker Buehler struck out 11 over six sharp innings in his best outing of the shortened season, leading the Los Angeles Dodgers past the slumping Colorado Rockies 5-1 on Friday night. WATCH US LIVE SUBSCRIBE TO US COMMENT
Ghana’s continental representatives in this year’s CAF champion’s league, Kumasi Asante Kotoko are expecting their Liberian opponents Barrack Young Controllers (BYC) to arrive in Ghana on the February 5.The Ghana League defending champions will play their Liberian counterparts in the first leg tie at the Baba Yara Stadium on February 9.The club’s committee in charge of their Africa campaign expressed frustration for the lack of corporation from their opponents in terms communication ahead of the encounter.“We have finally heard from them and they have confirmed they will arrive on the 5th of February,” Kotoko acting Chief Executive Opoku Nti said.Kotoko were eliminated at the penultimate qualifying round by Algerian side JSM Bejaia in the 2013 competition and this time around the porcupines have vowed to redeem the club’s image by winning the ultimate.Kotoko currently have eight of its players in the current CHAN team in South Africa preparing to play Libya in the grand finale on Saturday.
Manchester City took their place in the Capital One Cup semifinals with a 4-1 win over Hull City.City went ahead as Kevin De Bruyne’s low shot struck the post, and Wilfried Bony buried the rebound in the 12th minute.The Premier League leaders had to wait to make the game safe, but two goals in two minutes from Kelechi Iheanacho and De Bruyne in the final 10 gave them a cushion before De Bruyne bagged his second from a free kick and Andy Robertson pulled one back late on.Everton eased through with a 2-0 win over Middlesbrough thanks to an inspired performance from Gerard Deulofeu.The former Barcelona starlet scored a stunning solo goal after running from his own half and slaloming through the Boro defence to slot home. He then put the ball on the head of Romelu Lukaku for the second before 30 minutes had expired.Stoke eased through as goals from Ibrahim Afellay and substitute Phil Bardsley secured a comfortable 2-0 home victory over Sheffield Wednesday. Afellay put the Potters ahead in the 30th minute, the summer signing registering his first goal for the club with a delightfully-executed volley.Bardsley then smashed home a low effort from outside the box in the 75th minute — also opening his Potters goalscoring account – to seal what will be Stoke’s first League Cup semifinal appearance since 1971-72, the year they raised the trophy.–Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
On Monday, Ssekandi unveiled the Local Organizing Committee for the 41st IAAF WXCC Kampala 2017.The global cross-country in March 2017 will mark a decade since it was last staged in Africa and will be the first time an IAAF World Athletics Series event to be held in Uganda. Ssekandi, ministers Alupo and Bakabulindi, launch the Uganda committee. PHOTO BY KCCAA team from the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) delegation is in Uganda to confirm preparations for the World Cross Country Championships that will be held in Kampala yesterday.The IAAF team will visit the official venue and hotels that will accommodate the world’s top athletics teams like Kenya, Russia, USA and Ethiopia.“We are happy to host the delegation and Uganda is prepared to host the international event at Kololo. We have decided to fund activities in a way to promote our country,” Vice President Edward Ssekandi said after the team visited him. Share on: WhatsApp