FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The third annual Loonie Mile was a great success for Fort St. John Special Olympics. After raising $5,200 last year that total was surpassed after $6,464.90 was raised on Sunday.Event fundraiser Debbie Roblin said the cause hits close to home for her as her son has been able to benefit through various Special Olympics initiatives.“I have a son that’s 20 years old. Special Olympics has brought community to him. It’s brought friendship to him. It’s allowed him to play sports where they’re not invited with the typical kids. It’s just opened up his whole life,” she said.- Advertisement -The local chapter of Special Olympics supports 43 athletes in eight sports. This year the organization is hosting two regional events and will be travelling to four others which the money brought in will go towards in supporting.
But Lingard, who was brought on at half-time along with Henrikh Mkhitaryan, pulled one back with a cheeky backheel and struck again in stoppage time to earn a share of the spoils.The visitors made a dream start after Marcos Rojo was booked in the second minute for a foul on Johann-Berg Gudmundsson, whose free-kick was lashed home at the far post by Barnes after United failed to clear their lines.Scott Arfield was inches away from doubling their lead on 12 minutes when he steered Gudmundsson’s cross from the right just over the crossbar and onto the roof of the net.The Red Devils had a couple of half-chances before Luke Shaw went close in the 17th minute as space opened up for him on the left, but his driven effort from 22 yards out was parred away by Nick Pope.The Burnley keeper pulled off an even better save four minutes later when he clawed away Paul Pogba’s header from a corner, and it proved crucial as his team went 2-0 up on 36 minutes. David De Gea had no answer to Defour’s curling free-kick which found the top-left corner of the net from 25 yards out.The hosts almost halved the deficit two minutes later from Pogba’s exquisite diagonal ball that found Rashford on the left, with the forward cutting inside and beating Pope but Ben Mee was there to clear off the line.Pogba then came close two minutes before half-time with a curling shot from 20 yards out that flew narrowly past the right post, although the Clarets were deserved leaders at the break.United were quickly on the attack after the restart with Pogba flashing a shot a few feet over the bar from 25 yards out in the 46th minute, while half-time substitute Lingard somehow failed to score five minutes later when he steered Ashley Young’s cross from the right against Pope’s face and onto the bar from two yards out.But he struck just two minutes later with a sublime finish from another Young cross, which was flicked into the bottom-left corner of the net off his heel.Pogba looked to replicate Defour’s feat on 70 minutes as he curled a free-kick just over the bar from an almost identical position to the opener, before Mkhitaryan steered a header well off target from Young’s cross on the right 10 minutes later.Just when it looked like Burnley would record a rare win at the Theatre of Dreams, Lingard popped up at the death to fire home from 16 yards out after Juan Mata’s free-kick dropped at his feet.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Manchester United forward Anthony Martial (R) celebrates with midfielder Jesse Lingard after Lingard scored a goal on July 23, 2017 in Santa Clara, CaliforniaMANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Dec 26 – Jesse Lingard stepped off the bench to rescue Manchester United with a brace as they came from behind to draw 2-2 with Burnley at Old Trafford on Boxing Day.Jose Mourinho’s side found themselves trailing 2-0 at the interval after Ashley Barnes broke the deadlock in the third minute, before Steven Defour doubled the Clarets’ lead with a superb free-kick on 36 minutes.
“Our ports are an integral component of goods movement in and out of California,” Schwarzenegger said in a statement. “I support the concept of SB 974 and want to work together with Sen. Lowenthal on the bill so it addresses the future of goods movement while also reducing environmental impacts.” Environmental groups, including the Coalition for Clean Air, said they plan to continue watching the bill’s progress and hope it doesn’t stray from Lowenthal’s original intentions. “This is the first time the governor has expressed support for this bill, and that’s huge, but we remain cautiously optimistic because a lot can happen between now and January,” said Rafael Pizarro, senior campaign associate for the Coalition for Clean Air. “We’re going to make sure the environmental groups that have brought the bill this far stay engaged and make this a reality,” he said. “We really can’t afford to let another year go by without some sort of relief for our air.” The bill appeared to be in jeopardy last week, when Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa refused to support the measure unless it was amended to include funds to replace the Gerald Desmond and Commodore Schuyler F. Heim bridges, which serve the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. Villaraigosa’s plan was not mentioned by Schwarzenegger, according to Lowenthal. “I just want to see this bill signed,” Lowenthal said. “I’ve worked so hard to make sure we have a steady stream of funds to reduce air emissions related to goods movement.” email@example.comWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! CONTAINERS: The governor says that he’ll support the legislation with some changes. By Art Marroquin STAFF WRITER State legislation that would have placed a $60 fee on 40-foot containers passing through the ports of Los Angeles, Long Beach and Oakland was shelved Wednesday but gained tentative support from Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Senate Bill 974, carried by Sen. Alan Lowenthal, D-Long Beach, called for raising $394 million annually for projects aimed at reducing air pollution, railroad improvements and grade separation. “I met with the governor for about a half-hour yesterday, and he asked me to hold the bill until January so we could work on some specific items he was concerned about,” Lowenthal said, declining to go into specifics. “He said he supports the concept of the bill, which is a tremendous step forward,” Lowenthal said. “He just wants to make sure it passes without any threats of litigation holding it up.” A similar bill was approved by the state Legislature last year but was vetoed by Schwarzenegger. The state Senate approved the revived measure in June, and the Assembly was scheduled to take up the matter this week.
It has been revealed that The Donegal County Board has begun its recruitment drive in search for a full-time GAA Marketing Manager. The first-round of interviews have taken place, and a second round of interviews are due to take place next week.The first set of interviews were conducted in Croke Park. A Commercial and Marketing manager is needed in order to increase the county board’s finances through sponsorship – or other commercial sources they can find.The cost of running inter-county teams are increasing every year, and there’s a feeling that in order to compete with Dublin, the move is a necessary step for Donegal.Traditionalists see it as another indicator that the GAA is moving from its traditional values which is based on volunteerism.A number of other counties have already appointed Marketing Manager’s for the forthcoming season. What are you views on this? Does Donegal need to appoint a full-time GAA Marketing Manager? Donegal County Board begin search for full-time GAA Marketing Manager was last modified: November 10th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CommercialCroke ParkGAAMarketing ManagernewsProcessrecruitmentRoleSport
New Arsenal boss Unai Emery wants to make Sevilla midfielder Stevn N’Zonzi his first signing for the club, according to reports.The former Blackburn Rovers and Stoke City man worked with the new Gunners boss during his tenure as manager of the LaLiga side.Despite having to convince the club’s board to push ahead with a deal for the 29-year-old, it seems as though the club will bow to the Paris Saint-Germain boss’ request.According to the Mirror on Sunday, head of recruitment Sven Mislintat is ready to sanction the deal after conversations with Emery about the player – whom he signed for Sevilla originally.N’Zonzi joined Blackburn for £550,000 from Amiens in France in 2009 and moved on to Stoke for £4.4 million in 2012.Emery then paid £8 million to take him to Sevilla in 2015. Steven N’Zonzi laughs during Sevilla training 1
Chelsea defender Gary Cahill will try to leave the club in January to pursue more first-team football.The centre-back, who quit international football last month in order to focus on his club career, has not played a single minute since Maurizio Sarri became Blues boss in the summer. targets Cahill captained Chelsea to the 2016/17 Premier League title But the new boss has hinted plenty of players’ peripheral figures will get a chance to impress in the Europa League and cup football.Chelsea’s first game in the Europa League groups sees them take on PAOK Salonika on September, however, their Carabao Cup third-round clash five days later sees them travel to Liverpool.A Blues source claims Cahill is hoping Chelsea would agree to cut him loose in the new year and allow him to join a rival Premier League club as a reward for his loyalty and commitment.He has won every major domestic and European honour since signing from Bolton in January 2012. Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Cahill was part of England’s World Cup squad but only made two appearances IN DEMAND RANKED LIVING THE DREAM Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star REVEALED Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti targets 2 Latest Transfer News moving on 2 LATEST Cahill was linked with a move to Turkish side Galatasaray but a deal never happened before the summer window deadline.And the club’s frustrated captain could call time on his Stamford Bridge career in the next transfer window if things fail to improve.The 32-year-old has fallen down the pecking order thanks to Sarri’s tactical rethink and the return of David Luiz to the fold.Sarri’s use of only two central defenders instead of three employed by predecessor Antonio Conte has limited Cahill’s opportunities.
A WOMAN thought she was “going to die” when a man entered her bedroom and demanded she have sex with him, she has told a jury.The woman said on day two of the Central Criminal Court trial that she vomited on the ground and wet herself when the man demanded she take her clothes off and told her to “jump on the bed, we are going to have sex”.The 38-year-old man has pleaded not guilty to orally raping and sexually assaulting the woman in the house they shared in Donegal on October 30, 2010. The trial continues.COMMENTS ARE CLOSED ON THIS POST© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailySell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.comWOMAN THOUGHT SHE WAS GOING TO DIE IN ATTACK was last modified: January 14th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
IT’S a shimmering green and yellow light in the distance – but tonight the Northern Lights are just visible off Donegal.It is by no means the wonderful light show people in Scandanavia can see.But it is an incredible scene nonetheless. Donegaldaily.com reader John Harkin told us: “I was in Ballyliffin this evening and you can make out the northern lights on the horizon.“I know it’s nothing like the pictures you can see on YouTube but it is an incredible sight.“You need to be well away from light pollution and you can just make it out on the horizon but this is the first time I’ve seen it and it is lovely.”Seamus McGlinchey also spotted the northern lights off Culdaff around 8.30pm. He told us: “I brought my telescope and a flask. It was worth the wait and I plan to stay around for a few more hours. There’s a bit of cloud around now so it might not be worth it, but we’ll see.” The sightings come just hours after local astronomer Brendan Alexander said this evening offered the best chance to see the Northern Lights.https://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/01/22/northern-lights-alert-from-donegal-skies/© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldaily Follow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailySell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.comBREAKING NEWS: NORTHERN LIGHTS VISIBLE OFF DONEGAL was last modified: January 23rd, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:BREAKING NEWS: NORTHERN LIGHTS VISIBLE OFF DONEGAL
FINN VALLEY CENTRE5 DAY EASTER MULTI –ACTIVITYCAMP 2012 Who: Boys and Girls aged 5 – 12 yearsWho are off on their Easter HolidaysWhere: Finn Valley Athletic and Astro-TurfComplex Stranorlar What: Fun filled Games including Soccer, GaelicFootball, Rugby, Hockey, Athletics, Bowls andmany many more Multi-Activity GamesAlso featuring Irelands Largest Bouncy CastleWhen: Monday 2nd to Friday 6th April 2012 9.30 to 2.00 pmWhy: why not?Cost: €50 per child, Family rates Available 1st Child €50 2nd Child €40, 3rd Child €30 etc.For Further enquiries or information Please call Finn Valley Centre on (074) 91 32053 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org FINN VALLEY CENTRE 5 DAY EASTER MULTI-ACTIVITY CAMP LAUNCHED was last modified: February 25th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:FINN VALLEY CENTRE 5 DAY EASTER MULTI-ACTIVITY CAMP LAUNCHED
Neighbors, who complained they were sickened by the waste stored on the Avenue L-9 property of Smith & Thompson Pumping Co. and S&S Environmental and Processing, sought a court order halting operations that they contend have turned the property into an illegal waste-storage site. The neighbors’ attorney, Anthony Patchett, rebutted Moll, saying the business is not operating within legal limits and that the order will bar the company from treating or disposing of any hazardous wastes. “Our argument has been that they have used large plastic portable tanks in the illegal process of treating septic waste on the property,” Patchett said. While Moll said samples taken from the property fell within acceptable state limits, Patchett said that was not true. “It’s like everything else, you can look at statistics and twist them to fit one side,” Patchett said. Patchett said his expert showed that 82.74 milligrams per cubic meter per minute of hydrogen sulfide gas is being released from the tanks, exceeding by eight times the state limit of 10 milligrams per cubic meter. As for neighbors’ contention that they were getting sick, Moll said, “These cases are long cases. The facts will demonstrate that Smith & Thompson has always operated within legal limits and will continue to do so.” S&S co-owner Smith, 41, of Tehachapi and truck driver Marvin Dunbar, 32, of Mojave have pleaded not guilty to criminal charges filed against them by Los Angeles County prosecutors. Smith, who is charged with 36 felony counts of grand theft, illegally storing and disposing of hazardous waste, and forgery, is out on bond. Dunbar, who is charged with one count of grand theft, is free based on a written promise to appear in court. Both men were arrested Sept. 28. State health officials accused the firms of illegally storing toxic industrial waste and of falsifying documents about what they did with it. Neighbors have complained for more than a year of nausea, burning eyes, diarrhea and other illnesses, court papers show. A state investigation showed 331 occasions when the companies picked up waste but did not take it where they were supposed to. On 273 occasions, somebody forged signatures on documents indicating that the waste had been delivered to disposal facilities, state officials said. The forged documents were produced so the defendants would be paid by the companies that hired them, prosecutors said. In court documents, neighboring residents and business people accused Smith & Thompson of also dumping raw, untreated septic waste on the property to avoid paying fees to dispose of it at a sewage treatment plant. The property gives off a smell of rotten eggs – hydrogen sulfide gas from the septic waste, the court papers say. Karen Maeshiro, (661) 267-5744 email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LANCASTER – A judge on Monday granted a preliminary injunction against a waste disposal business that is the target of a criminal prosecution as well as complaints from neighbors. Attorneys for both sides in the civil case will submit the injunction order for the judge to sign, spelling out what disposal practices will be prohibited. “We demonstrated we were operating within the limits of Cal-OSHA and also federal standards,” said Gary Moll, attorney for business co-owner Sherwin Smith. “The judge, wanting to err on the side of caution, asked both sides to put together a restraining order to let the business continue running but assure the other parties in the case that there would be no toxic waste emanating from the property. We have to agree on an order to enable the company to continue its lawful business and try to protect plaintiffs.”