Soldiers overrun media company to suppress story about army raid on police station

first_img News February 26, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information Organisation News Soldiers stormed the building of 14 October, a national media company based in Al-Ma’ala, in the southern province of Aden, on the evening of 21 April in order to seize the latest issue of Al-Tariq, a daily newspaper it publishes. The building remained surrounded until yesterday morning.“What happens in Yemen is hallucinating,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Not a day goes by without a news media being attacked or a journalist being kidnapped, arrested or convicted.” The raid in Al-Ma’ala took place just as President Ali Abdallah Saleh was ordering the release of three executives of Al-Ayyam, a daily newspaper based in the city of Aden.The soldiers who overran the 14 October building searched all the vehicles parked outside, including that of publisher and chairman Ahmed Al-Hubaish, in order to confiscate that day’s issue of Al-Tariq, which had a story about a raid by soldiers on a police station the previous afternoon in the nearby town of Al-Tawahi.According to Al-Tariq’s report, the raid on the police station was probably an act of revenge for a dispute between a police and a soldier during an operation to remove illegally-built homes on a hillside outside Al-Tawahi. The newspaper also offered the alternative theory that is was prompted by an argument between a soldier and a policeman in the town’s market (http://www.attariq-ye.com/).Al-Tariq’s office in Al-Tawahi was seized by the army on 21 February because the newspaper had referred to the situation in south Yemen as an “occupation.” As a result, it had to suspend operations for two weeks.The three senior members of Al-Ayyam’s staff whose release was ordered by the president were journalist Hani Bashraheel, who edits the sports edition, director Mohamed Bashraheel, and secretary-general Arhab Hassan Yassine. They were arrested during an army raid on the newspaper’s headquarters in early January (http://en.rsf.org/yemen-arrest-of-editor-in-chief-of-al-08-01-2010,35675.html). Hisham Bashraheel, the newspaper’s founder and owner, who had been arrested at the same time, was released on 24 March on medical grounds (http://en.rsf.org/yemen-two-journalists-freed-on-health-25-03-2010,36836.html).The press freedom situation in Yemen has been worsening steadily since May 2009. (Read the latest report: http://en.rsf.org/yemen-yemeni-media-and-journalists-20-04-2010,37080.html) YemenMiddle East – North Africa Fixer for foreign reporters held in Aden for past five months April 23, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Soldiers overrun media company to suppress story about army raid on police station Yemeni journalist killed, nine wounded in Aden airport explosions Receive email alertscenter_img News United Nations: press freedom situation “deeply worrying” in Yemen, according to RSF YemenMiddle East – North Africa February 11, 2021 Find out more to go further Follow the news on Yemen January 6, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Newslast_img read more

Numbers sleeping rough in Dublin rises

first_img By admin – December 3, 2013 Facebook Facebook Pinterest Twitter Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal WhatsApp Numbers sleeping rough in Dublin rises Google+ WhatsApp 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North Google+center_img The number of people sleeping rough has jumped according to official figures from Dublin City Council.The latest headcount shows 139 people are on the streets of the capital on a given night. That is up from 94 people in April.It comes as councillors are asked to vote on a new three year plan to tackle homelessnessBut Fianna Fail Councillor Mary Fitzpatrick says there is a major flaw with it.”I will support any action that will contribute to ending the need for people to sleep on the streets” she said.”However my concern with the framework plan is that it doesn’t include a target number of housing units to be provided each year, and it doesn’t provide a target budget” she added. Pinterest Previous articleFianna Fail confirm Colm Keaveney has applied to join the partyNext articleIn-coming Eirgrid chairman pledges to work with communities over pylon issue admin RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry Twitter Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th News 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan firelast_img read more

Michelle Obama eats 1,700-calorie meal: Is she a hypocrite?

first_img Share Can you preach healthy eating and order a 1,700-calorie lunch at a burger joint? A lot of people are saying ‘no’ because the person in question is the First Lady, a role model, and her primary focus while inhabiting the White House has been to urge the country to eat and live healthier. For the record, she was at the new D.C. location of the popular Shake Shack, and the calories were spent on a hamburger, fries, chocolate shake, and Diet Coke. If it was me, I’d probably ditch the Diet Coke, maybe share the fries, but if that’s what’s going to round out the meal for her, who are we to stop her? I believe that balance is a virtue. Eating salads and sustainable fish everyday leaves a person with a lot of greasy, repressed cravings that I don’t want for myself or my leaders. Enough with all this ‘our candidates and their wives have to be specimens of perfection.’ Our country is overweight, so she’s been sharing a message of healthy eating. But Michelle has admitted her own salty weakness. “Look my favorite food in the whole wide world is French fries,” she has said. Have you gotten a different message from her? Do you think she’s asking us to be more perfect than she is?by Sarah Fuss Share Sharing is caring! 23 Views   no discussionscenter_img Share Tweet Food & DiningHealthLifestyle Michelle Obama eats 1,700-calorie meal: Is she a hypocrite? by: – July 13, 2011last_img read more