Motorcycle hitmen gun down Honduran reporter

first_imgViolence against the press is endemic in Honduras. According to C-Libre, Almendares is the 85th journalist, media worker or media owner to be murdered in Honduras since 2001 and the third since the start of 2020, following Germán Gerardo Vallecillo and Jorge Posas, who worked for 45TV. Three days before he was shot, he posted a video showing shots being fired at the facade of a building from a police vehicle, which then drove away,He had been repeatedly threatened and intimidated in connection with his reporting, in particular, in April 2018, March 2019 and in June 2020, according to C-Libre, a Honduran NGO that defends freedom of expression. In the latest instance, several members of the Comayagua chamber of commerce pressured him to reveal his sources for a report that reflected badly on the chamber. AmericasHonduras Activities in the fieldProtecting journalists DisappearancesFreedom of expressionViolence The impunity also encourages other kinds of abuse. Wilmer Montoya, a reporter for 45TV and correspondent for Canal 6 TV, and Fernando Lanza, a journalist with Litoral Atlantico TV, were badly beaten by police in the north coast city of La Ceiba on 27 September when they went to a police station to get information. Their camera and phones were also destroyed by the police, who said the journalists had failed to comply with public health measures imposed to combat the Covid-19 pandemic. AmericasHonduras Activities in the fieldProtecting journalists DisappearancesFreedom of expressionViolence RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” After working for national media such as Radio Globo, Patrulleros Choluteca and Unetv, Almendares created his own news page on Facebook entitled Periodista504, where his coverage of local Comayagua news, including corruption and police violence, had more than 25,000 followers. An outspoken critic of local corruption and police violence, Almendares was shot by two hooded gunmen on a motorcycle on the evening of 27 September as he was walking to a supermarket in Comayagua, a city 80 km northwest of Tegucigalpa that is the capital of Comayagua department. After appealing for help on Facebook Live, he was rushed to a hospital in Comayagua and from there he was taken to a hospital in Tegucigalpa where he died of his injuries yesterday. Follow the news on Honduras When reached by RSF, the National Mechanism for the Protection of Journalists said it had not received any specific complaint or request for protection from Almendares. Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls on the Honduran authorities to quickly identify those responsible for the murder of independent journalist Luís Almendares, and to rethink their mechanisms for protecting journalists in a country where the independent media are increasingly vulnerable. Honduras is ranked 148th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index. April 27, 2021 Find out more to go further Organisation At least two Honduran journalists, Gabriel Hernández and Edgar Joel Aguilar, were murdered last year in connection with their work. In none of these cases has any significant progress been reported in the investigation. The National Commission for Human Rights (CONADEH) says more than 91% of the murders of journalists have gone unpunished. Reports Santiago López, a presenter on Hable Como Habla (HCH) television in the western town of Santa Rosa de Copán, has received death threats from the local policeand has been the target of intimidation campaigns since the start of the year. 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies May 13, 2021 Find out more News Help by sharing this information RSF_en September 29, 2020 Motorcycle hitmen gun down Honduran reporter Receive email alerts News RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America “The Honduran authorities must lose no time in identifying the perpetrators and instigators of this execution-style murder, and should prioritize the hypothesis that it was linked to the victim’s reporting,” said Emmanuel Colombié, the head of RSF’s Latin America bureau. News “The endless spiral of violence against the Honduran press has to be brought to an end. How many journalists need to be murdered before the authorities react, by reinforcing their mechanism for protecting journalists and by establishing a lasting plan for combatting impunity for these crimes?” December 28, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Alan Alda & Candice Bergen Discuss Not Being ‘Gooey’ or ‘Sentimental’ in Love Letters

first_imgAlan Alda and Candice Bergen have known each other for decades, but have never worked together—until now. They are starring on Broadway in A.R. Gurney’s Love Letters, a title that Alda admits is potentially a bit misleading. “In spite of the title,” he says, “it’s not gooey and sentimental. It’s very tough, sometimes. And very funny. And there are only one or two actual love letters in the play.” The two have celebrated successful careers on the big and small screen, but there’s something special about being on stage together with just a table and two chairs. “Everyone who does it does it for the love of the work,” says Bergen. Have a look below, and catch the pair in Love Letters at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre; the two have just recently extended their run through December 18! Stacey Keach and Diana Rigg will now play December 19 through January 9, 2015, followed by Anjelica Huston and Martin Sheen from January 10 through February 15. Love Letters Show Closed This production ended its run on Dec. 14, 2014 Related Shows View Commentslast_img read more

Fellers Service Station demolition underway

first_imgSubmitted photoBatesville, In. — Demolition crews from Cincinnati-based O’Rourke Wrecking Company are removing the former Fellers Service Station in downtown Batesville. City leaders approved a contract for $43,740 to complete the work.In late 2017 crews from August Mack Environmental from Indianapolis injected chemicals into the ground in an effort to neutralize any remaining benzene, oil or gas. The monitoring process will continue for about one year.Mayor Mike Bettice told WRBI News the property could have been sold prior to the demolition, but the city wanted to be sure the site clean up was properly completed. After matching grants from the Indiana Office of Community and Rural Affairs the demolition will cost taxpayers of Batesville about $10,000.last_img read more