Politically-motivated harassment of news and opposition website

first_img July 17, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Politically-motivated harassment of news and opposition website Reporters Without Borders condemns the continuing threats against journalists working for the Charter 97 news and opposition website (charter97.org). In the latest case, site editor Natallya Radzina received a threatening email message on 15 July that was prompted by a report about a pro-Russian neo-fascist group.“It is time this persecution stopped,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We urge the government to recognise Charter 97 so that it can file complaints with the police and judicial authorities and obtain redress. If Belarus is to respect its own constitutional principles, it must ensure that this website and its bloggers enjoy freedom of action.”The email that Radzina received on 15 July said: “Achtung (in German), editor Radzina Natallya! (…) You’ve been warned that you should be quiet and not lash out at the patriots of the right.” Threatening violence of a sexual nature, it added: “Don’t you understand the Russian Language?” (See the entire text of the message in English here.)The 8 July report that prompted the threat was about a pardon accorded to a young leader of the neo-fascist Russian National Unity party in the southeastern city of Homyel on the 65th anniversary of Belarus’ liberation from German occupation, and the failure of the authorities to curb the RNU’s racist and xenophobic activities. The article, which carried no by-line, was first published on the Belarussky Partisan website.Radzina has often received threats in the past after posting articles criticising the authorities.Access to the Charter 97 website was blocked on 8 June by a distributed denial of service attack (DDoS), in which a site is bombarded with a massive amount of connection requests that overload its server.Radzina told Reporters Without Borders at the time: “The site is very popular in Belarus and abroad. We post a lot of articles critical of the government, which gets irritated.” Police overran the Charter 97 offices on 26 April, preventing the editors from updating the website on a day that opposition demonstrations were taking place (http://charter97.org/en/news/2009/4/26/17679/).The Belarusian Internet is dominated by Beltelekom, a state-owned Internet Service Provider, and most websites that report human rights abuses are inaccessible. President Lukashenko promulgated a media law in August 2008 that requires websites to be registered with the information ministry. Since then, their activities have been regulated by decree rather than by law. Article 22 of the constitution nonetheless says that “a state monopoly of the mass media (…) is forbidden” and “censorship is forbidden.”Video of the 26 April demonstrations:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk8I7W0CDMchttp://belarus.indymedia.org/content/guest/16676.flv http://belarus.indymedia.org/content/guest/16669.flv Receive email alerts News News “We welcome opening of criminal investigation in Lithuania in response to our complaint against Lukashenko” RSF says May 28, 2021 Find out more Organisation Follow the news on Belarus BelarusEurope – Central Asia RSF_en center_img to go further News BelarusEurope – Central Asia News RSF at the Belarusian border: “The terrorist is the one who jails journalists and intimidates the public” Help by sharing this information June 2, 2021 Find out more Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown May 27, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Police in appeal following vicious assault on man in Derry

first_img Pinterest 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal Twitter WhatsApp Pinterest Previous articleCllr Frank McBrearty accuses senior Gardai of not listening to Councillor’s concernsNext articleLatest Live Register figures indicate level of youth emigration in Donegal News Highland Police in appeal following vicious assault on man in Derry Detectives in Foyle are appealing for information after a man viciously assaulted in Derry.The man was found injured in the city centre shortly before 4am on June 30th.An ambulance crew picked up the man at Waterloo Place however it is not clear if that is where he was attacked.The man was left with head injuries including a broken nose, jaw and eye socket.Anyone who was in the area of Waterloo Place around that time and could help police with their enquiries is asked to telephone Strand Road.Meanwhile, A 25 year old man is expected to appear at Derry MC today (July 4th) charged with aggravated burglary, making threats to kill, criminal damage and possession of an offensive weapon.The charges relate to a domestic incident in the city on July 3rd. Facebook Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th By News Highland – July 4, 2013 center_img Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire Twitter Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic Facebook Google+ Google+ Newslast_img read more

NBA restricts locker room access as coronavirus fears grow

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersThe change reflects heightened fears around the coronavirus, which has caused widespread societal ripples including economic repercussions in the stock market and mass stocking up of items such as toilet paper and canned food.Sports leagues, which regularly host events that gather thousands of people together, have discussed practical steps to slow the spread of the disease. While the NBA and other leagues have yet to actually cancel games or play games without fans present, these options have been publicly speculated and ESPN reported that the NBA’s Board of Governors could discuss the possibility of such steps as soon as Wednesday.LeBron James was the most prominent star to say he would not wish to play if fans could not attend: “That’s who I play for. I play for my teammates, I play for the fans. That’s what it’s all about. So, if I show up to the arena and there ain’t no fans in there? I ain’t playing. So, they can do what they want to do.”In the meantime, team doctors have met with players to discuss important hygiene practices to lower their risk of getting the virus. Washing hands has been encouraged, and players have been discouraged from such NBA staples as elaborate handshakes.Media locker room access has also long been a staple of professional sports. The Professional Basketball Writers Association said in a statement that it understood the health concerns that led the NBA’s temporary measures with the understanding that it would be restored once the crisis abates. Trail Blazers beat Grizzlies in play-in, earn first-round series with the Lakers LeBRON JAMES QUESTIONABLE FOR NETS GAMENow with a playoff spot clinched and a relatively clear path to the Western Conference’s top overall seed, the Lakers have little incentive to be anything but cautious when it comes to injuries.Related Articles Lakers practice early hoping to answer all questions How athletes protesting the national anthem has evolved over 17 years LOS ANGELES — The NBA is taking new measures the league hopes will reduce player risk of coronavirus, signs that concern is rising and more drastic measures might be ahead.The NBA was one of four professional sports leagues, including the MLB, NHL and MLS, which issued a joint statement that they would close team locker rooms to all non-essential personnel, including media. The new practices go into effect on Tuesday.“After consultation with infectious disease and public health experts, and given the issues that can be associated with close contact in pre- and post-game settings, all team locker rooms and clubhouses will be open only to players and essential employees of teams and team facilities until further notice.”Neither the Lakers nor Clippers practiced on Monday following their Sunday game. The Lakers are scheduled to hold a team shootaround Tuesday morning at their El Segundo facility with new guidelines in effect to keep non-essential personnel at a distance of 6 to 8 feet, as recommended by experts.center_img The team announced Monday afternoon that LeBron James, who earned Western Conference Player of the Week honors for his performances during a 3-0 stretch, is questionable (left groin soreness) for Tuesday night’s home game against the Brooklyn Nets. James has missed just three games so far this season, all of which the team has attributed to left groin soreness. The Lakers are 2-1 without him.Anthony Davis (sore left elbow) and Alex Caruso (sore right hamstring) were both listed as probable.The Nets come into Tuesday’s game winners of three of their past four games, but recent events have shaken the franchise. Kyrie Irving had season-ending shoulder surgery; the procedure took place last week. Over the weekend, the Nets announced they had “mutually parted ways” with Coach Kenny Atkinson. The Lakers won the first meeting in Brooklyn in January. Lakers, Clippers schedules set for first round of NBA playoffs Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Trail Blazers, Grizzlies advance to NBA play-in game; Suns, Spurs see playoff dreams dashed last_img read more

Wellington Police Notes: Friday, Jan. 15 – Monday, Jan. 18, 2016

first_imgWellington Police notes: Friday, Jan. 15 to Monday, Jan. 18, 2016:Friday, January 15, 2016•5:43 a.m. Daniel W. Dvorak, 46, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for defective headlamp.•Bobbi C A Santana, 31, Wellington was served a summons to appear for theft.•10:26 a.m. Officers investigated a theft and criminal damage to property in the 400 block S. C, Wellington.•10:49 a.m. Officers took a report of a juvenile problem in the 200 block N. B, Wellington.•3:30 p.m. Austin D. Schoemann, 22, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for dog at large.•3:45 p.m. Officers took a report of a mental subject in the 300 block N. A, Wellington which occurred January 14, 2016.•9:10 p.m. Julian C. Cornejo, 18, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for speeding 31mph in a 20 mph zone.Saturday, January 16, 2016•1:30 a.m. Mitchell A. McGuire, 18, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for defective tag light.•1:58 a.m. Jared L. Franks, 26, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for defective tag light.•7:05 p.m. Officers took a report of a mental subject in the 2000 block N. H, Wellington by known subject.•9:30 p.m. Officers investigated a theft of wallet with contents in the 700 block S. G, Wellington.Sunday, January 17, 2016•2:30 a.m. Officers investigated an aggravated burglary and criminal damage to property by known suspect in the 800 block N. Washington, Wellington.•3:18 a.m. Officers investigated an aggravated domestic battery in the 1100 block S. Washington, Wellington.•3:24 a.m. Jason D. Schoemann, 43, Wellington was arrested, charged and confined with aggravated domestic violence battery.•12:50 p.m. Officers investigated possession of stimulants and possession of drug paraphernalia in the 2000 block E. 16th, Wellington.•12:52 p.m. Officers investigated making a false information and theft in the 2000 block E. 16th, Wellington.•1:32 p.m. Bradley A. Braun, 36, Wichita, was arrested, charged and confined with making false information and theft.•1:32 p.m. Regina D. Brittain, 60, Wichita, was arrested, charged and confined with possession of stimulants and possession of drug paraphernalia.Monday, January 18, 2016•5:09 a.m. Officers investigated a theft in electronics in the 300 block E. 9th, Wellington.•10:58 a.m. Officers investigated an assault and disorderly conduct in the 400 block N. F, Wellington by a known suspect.•1:17 p.m. Officers investigated a theft of an appliance in the 600 block N. C, Wellington.•3:20 p.m. Officers took a report of a suicidal subject in the 1100 block W. 8th, Wellington.•4:58 p.m. Officers investigated a theft in the 200 block N. F, Wellington.•6:40 p.m. Officers investigated driving while license is suspended and speeding 61 mph in a 45 mph zone.•6:47 p.m. Korey J. Sarsycki, 26, Moore, Okla. was arrested, charged and confined with driving while license is suspended and speeding 61 mph in a 45 mph zone.last_img read more